First Time Meet and Greet!

Welcome back to my blog! I will be giving you advice and information on how to prepare for your first meet and greet with a client.

Meet and greets can be overwhelming at first. You are going to meet a stranger and their pets for the first time. So many questions run through the mind. Is this a set-up? Are the clients nice? Will the dog(s) get along with me? Are the clients understanding of other commitments and school? Those are just some of the many questions I ask myself.

When a client messages you on Rover, the initial request will be about your availability of the service. If you are free, you will go about and schedule a meet and greet with the client. The app shows the clients approximate address on the profile so ALWAYS ask for the exact address before you go. For my first ever client meet and greet, I showed up at the next door neighbors house. Thankfully they were extremely nice about the confusion. So I finally arrived at my clients home, what's next?

When the client opens the door, introduce yourself and give the dog(s) a warm welcome. It is nerve-reckoning at first, but do not show the dogs you are nervous or scared. Dogs can sense energy and may react aggressively. Once you get settled, clients may do one of two things: give you a house tour or sit down and talk. Some will even give you a house tour while asking you questions. But you are probably wondering what questions are asked and discussed.

1. Be honest! Always tell your client about other commitments you may have whether it's work, school, other dog walks, concerts, etc. You want your client to be comfortable with your life. If you are not there for the amount of time and attention they would like for the dog(s), it may not be a good fit.

2. Feeding schedules! Once you give your client an agenda of other commitments you may have, my second most important discussion point is the dog(s) feeding schedule. All clients have different feeding schedules and routines with their dogs. It is important you are there to feed the dogs and what food they get. 

3. Potty routines! All clients have different bathroom routines. Some clients have Invisible Fence, backyards or you might have to physically take the dog(s) out on leashes into the yard. Some dog(s) can hold it longer than others. Some of my clients dog(s) can go eight hours without going outside while others may only be able to hold it for three hours. You have to let the clients know you will be there!

4. Cages! Some clients dog(s) have to go into cages while nobody is home while others have free roam of the house. If the dog(s) have to be caged, I make my schedule around the dogs. It is never right for dog(s) to be locked up for long hours of the day. It is not fair. Imagine yourself being locked up all day... it's just not right.

5. Entry into the home! Always have several methods of entry into a clients home. Always get a key. I know several of my clients rely on forms of electric entry but what if the power goes out? Keys are so important. A key will always get you inside. The electric forms of entry are a great back-up!

6. Security systems! I always ask my clients if they have security systems or cameras. Just for my own self-conscious and safety, it is important to know if you are being "watched." Some clients homes require you to enter a pin or code on the system as you enter and exit the home. 

7. Miscellaneous!  After all the important stuff is discussed, lastly ask any miscellaneous question you may have. I always ask about WiFi, TV, food, laundry and showering.

After several meet and greets with clients, I hope these questions and information help you land your first client or help you gain more! Stay tuned next week to learn about Invisible Fence!


Image result for meet and greet dog
Image courtesy from MadPaws

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's The Hype About Barkbox?

I Can Administer Medication