What's the Scoop On Invisible Fence?

It's Wednesday again! Welcome back to my blog.

Have you ever heard of Invisible Fence? If not, you will today! Before I started dog sitting, I only knew about Invisible Fence and was not familiar with how it works. Thanks to my clients, I can tell you all about it and my experiences with Invisible Fence.

Invisible Fence is an underground fence that is invisible to everyone including pets. The Invisible Fence uses digital radio frequencies to work. The invisible system is controlled by a panel that broadcasts the signal just like a radio station. The panel also known as a transmitter is usually installed in the basement or the garage. The signal travels through the insulated cable buried around the home. The pet receives a collar with a computer system attached to it. The collar acts like a radio and picks up digital signals transmitted by the control system. When the pet gets close to the boundary, the collar will first make a noise to notify the pet it is near the line. If the pet goes past the boundary it will get corrected. However, the level of intensity is customized for the pet's safety. In addition to the collar, Invisible Fence provides flags as visual cues for pets when they are nearing the boundary line. The company even provides proper training to ensure that the pet understands and stays within the established boundaries. Please note that the pets do not get hurt! The "correction" the dog receives from the collar is actually not a shock. According to Invisible Fence, the correction from the collar is generated by the battery. The wire in the ground sends a signal to the collar, but the electricity in the wire has nothing to do with the zap. The feeling the pet receives is similar to a carpet shock or touching your tongue to a 9-volt battery.

Invisible Fence Collar
Image Courtesy of Invisible Fence

When I came in contact with a client who had Invisible Fence I was quite nervous. I've always been lucky enough that most of my clients have fenced in yards so I wasn't quite sure what to think about letting the dog outside with no fence. The first few times I went over to check on the dog, I always followed the dog around for my own safety. I could not imagine any of my client's dogs getting lose on my time. I would feel awful. So I always feel comfortable watching the dog while it has on the Invisible Fence collar.

Now you are probably wondering if I've ever seen any of my clients dogs try to run past the boundary. Well, I have. One of my clients who has two puppies just recently installed Invisible Fence. I have never had problems with the system before besides this ONE time. The two dogs were roaming around the yard and saw another dog. Zoey took the chance and darted through the boundary and the Invisible Fence did not go off but when Duke tried it shocked him. I was in panic mode. Luckily, Zoey listens when you tell her to sit but I was in utter shock in the moment. My heart sank to my stomach. Why didn't the system work? I do not know and neither does my client. I forced Zoey go through the boundary line and then it worked. I'm not sure if the signal didn't catch her in time or what... but it was scary.

Moral of the story: If you ever have a client with Invisible Fence, I would highly recommend being attentive to the pet.  Go outside with them or watch through the window. You do not want to lose your clients pet!

If you would like to learn more about Invisible Fence or to purchase one for your home visit www.invisiblefence.com.

Stay tuned next week to learn about all the different breeds of dogs I take care from Great Danes, Boxers, Chihuahuas, and mutts!

Image result for invisible fence collar on dog
Image Courtesy of Paw Castle


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's The Hype About Barkbox?

I Can Administer Medication