Can Dogs Get COVID-19?

Welcome back to my blog! It's been a very interesting last two weeks to say the least for the entire world.

If you have not heard, there is a global outbreak of the coronavirus also known as COVID-19. President Donald Trump has declared the United States of America under a state of emergency. The virus is a disease that spreads mainly from person-to-person. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) symptoms include fever, cough and shortness of breath. In other words, many are describing COVID-19 as a strong strain of the flu. The government is recommending that people stay home unless they HAVE to go out. The news media has the country panicking. Grocery stores are empty of toilet paper, cleaning supplies, milk, non-perishable items and much more. Jobs are closing. Restaurants are drive-thru only. Schools and universities are closed or online only. Unfortunately for me, my waitressing job has closed and my university has gone online. So what will I do for income? What will I do for two weeks? Well, I will continue to dog walk.

Pizza aisle at Walmart in New Lenox
Water aisle at Jewel in New Lenox

According to the CDC, there is no evidence to suggest that pets including dogs or cats can be a source of infection, including spreading COVID-19 to people. The only way I could come in contact with the virus is through the spread of my client and not the dog. However, my clients are usually never home when I come to walk their dog. I will be taking precautions though. I will be bringing my own wipes to clean door knobs and leashes. Once I am finished walking the dog, I will immediately wash my hands. Most of my clients still have to go to work and will be depending on me during this unusual time. Since my classes are online, I will have more flexible hours and availability to dog walk.

However, if any of my clients notify me that they are feeling sick, noticing symptoms similar to COVID-19, or test POSITIVE for the virus, I will not be walking their dog out of respect for my own health and safety.

During this time, I recommend you follow the orders being declared by the federal and local government. Wash your hands and most importantly: Don't PANIC! Panicking will stress you out even more. For the latest up to date information regarding COVID-19, visit https://www.cdc.gov/.

Stay heathy and happy walking!
Minnie!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's The Hype About Barkbox?

I Can Administer Medication